Whichever way we choose to look at it, digitization is revolutionizing the world. The reason behind the rapid rise of digital media and solutions in the world is very straightforward: it makes our lives easier. We can now accomplish what was once a tedious task at the touch of a few buttons on our smartphones. Digitization is everywhere, and it’s expanding at a breakneck pace.
The automobile industry hasn’t been spared from this either. Truth be told, digital elements have been a staple in cars for a relatively long time now. We’ve all heard of proximity sensors for parking assistance, CD players and automatic child locks in most cars. However, that was just scratching the surface of potential innovations in the field. In recent years, the automotive industry has evolved in leaps and bounds, with cars becoming smarter in every which way. Before we take a look at the impact of this digitization on the automobile industry as a whole, let’s quickly take stock of the significant advancements in the field till date.
- Smart parking systems have reduced the hassle of parking within tight urban spots and crowded parking areas. The car does it for you!
- Internet facilities that enable your car to connect through Wi-Fi on the go. This opens up a world of entertainment and information to you while going mobile!
- Entertainment systems have made long drives all the more fun. You’re now able to stream movies while stuck in traffic jams, making your life a bit better!
- Security measures such as i-CATS have made your car much more secure from break-ins and damage in recent times.
- AI advancements guarantee a certain degree of self-awareness in the car, when it automatically knows when to switch to more eco-friendly settings.
- Finally, self-driving cars promise to redefine the way we drive and travel in the coming years.
As you can see, the possibilities that digitization brings to the table for the automotive industry are seemingly endless. With every new year, carmakers across the globe come up with something new and improved that is set to revolutionize the industry and become the hot favourite in the market. At any given point of time, the number of car prototypes that are running concepts of digital facilities (such as AI voice assistants) is fairly high.
One of the primary issues that digitization faces is that whenever it’s introduced in the market, it’s almost always introduced on the higher end of the price spectrum, being launched at premium prices, or on flagship models of cars. This places a barrier for developing countries such as India, where despite advancements in the quality of life, a car is still considered a luxury of sorts for middle-class families.
That being said, however, all major developments in any industry usually start at the upper strata, slowly permeating down to the lower echelons as they gradually become more mainstream. The case of digitization in the automotive industry is also witnessing such a spike, with some smart features such as parking systems and media interfaces finding their way onto budget hatchbacks.
The benefits of introducing digital elements and making them available to the general car market are manifold. Aside from offering smarter cars, there’s a world of benefit that becomes evident once you look at the bigger picture.
– Digital features increase a car’s resale value. Having a car with innovative features greatly increases its value in the market, even when it’s second-hand. Overall, it makes for a great investment.
– Digitally-fitted vehicles fit better in urban areas. Cities are slowly becoming bustling megacities, and it’s only logical that the cars also evolve to fit into these cities, weaving in and out of traffic with new and improved features.
– It improves overall vehicle security. Cars are expensive, and guaranteeing their security becomes a core aspect of car ownership. With digitally enhanced security, you can rest assured as a car owner, for your car will always be secure.
– Better quality of life. Digital features in cars make the car ownership experience about more than just driving, or getting from point A to point B. They explore new horizons of comfort and utility, to provide an experience as opposed to a machine for the owner.
– Personalization. One of the defining aspects of any digital media is the level of personalization they offer. Through concise digital features, your car can feel more like it belongs to you, whether you set personalized choices and settings in the car to suit your comfort levels. Digital enhancements add value to car ownership.
The plus points associated with the digitization of the automotive industry show us that it is a welcome trend in the industry. Let’s keep our eyes on the horizon for future developments, and see how they shape the world of automobiles!